Grenada for the Highly Sensitive Person

"...But highly sensitive people are far from being weak. On the contrary, they are strong, perceptive, intuitive, and exceptionally artistic individuals who have a wonderful gift of insight to offer."
- Madisyn Taylor , Daily OM



Earlier this year I watched a video on youtube by a creator  Shir Levi called Life as a Highly Sensitive Person. A lot of the things she spoke about  resonated with me and I started to wonder whether I could be considered a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP). In the video she mentioned an online quiz . I took it and affirmed my suspicion- I am a highly sensitive person.

Reflecting on all the characteristic traits of HSPs (included at the end of the post) I can make more sense of the way I experience the world and navigate in a way which I can I thrive instead of feeling drained and disconnected. I am also a Gemini- which means I spend a lot of time overthinking things and living in my head. This can cause confusion and make it hard to tap into calm wisdom if I am overstimulated or overwhelmed.

If you identify as a HSP or consider yourself an introvert (not exactly the same- though there are some overlaps) then here is the Grenada Soul Adventurer Guide to you refueling and tending lovingly to your soul so you can feel great.

Hike Mout Qua Qua



I would rate this a 4 out of 10 on the challenging scale of hikes. There is a clear path but quite a bit of uphill. Not recommended for young toddlers. I love being in nature, incase you did not know this. It is a place where I feel completely at ease. I have space contemplate things with a clear head. The further away I get from the daily distractions that can leave me drained and the further I get to a place where only the present moment matters- I am at ease.

For me being in nature simplifies this complicated life. I am free to appreciate the lush verdant mountains without thinking about my giant to do list or what I am even doing with my life.  It will take you about an hour to get to the lookout if you take the leisurely approach to climbing mountains (lots of photo stops, lots of sighing in gratitude). This is a fun hike and all you need is some good company that is interested in more than small talk. I have found that I do better one on one or in a small intimate group than with a whole bunch of people- where I can feel overwhelmed and withdrawn.


Go to a Yoga Class or  Develop Your Personal Practice  

(Photo by Arthur Daniel from Grenada Chocolate Fest)


If you are a yogi or are curious about the practice Grenada is a great place to start. There are a few studios on the island and you can find their schedules and information in a Facebook group called Pure Yoga Grenada. My favourite classes are with Malaika from Spice Harmony Yoga and Dawnelle from Fountain of Youth Yoga (unfortunately Dawnelle is currently off island). These two teachers have a balanced approach to guiding a class- it is both physical and spiritual- which is a big deal for me personally. I always leave their classes feeling rejuvenated and centered. My Gemini mind is usually going a mile a minute and I need to take very intentional steps to quite it. I also enjoy practicing on my own at home or  a beautiful tree top ocean view space called Sankalpa Yoga Studio (pictured above) at True Blue Bay Boutique Resort. Last summer they offered free studio space- hopefully they will again this year.  (Check out the time lapses of my personal practice on my IG)

Visit Tropical Gardens  


Grenada has several beautiful gardens blossoming with a myriad of tropical plants. They are   a serene and glowing world of flowers and crops. Plants have such a magical and calming effect. Marveling at their beauty will give you energy.  I also enjoy going to plant nurseries, mainly for food seedlings for my own garden. Although I am not the best (consistent) gardener out there I do enjoy tending to my crop for a few months. Who remembers my kale and sorrel harvest on the IG stories last Christmas and Kwanaza.  It was very comforting to know where my food came from, and, that atleast I was not using harmful chemical fertilizers and pesticides (whoops I wondered off a bit there).

Have a Sole Adventure Off the Beaten Track 



I give this advice to my fellow Grenadians and travelers alike. Move out of the routine and into a place where you feel like you can just reset away from superficial distractions, crowds and demands- and go alone!  Last October I took a 24 hour sanity break at Crayfish Bay Organic Cocoa Estate which runs two air BNB cottages. The cottages are tucked into the mountain sides of Non-Pariel in St. Mark and have a beautiful ocean view.  Estate owners Kim and Lylette will leave you up to your own devices and you can explore their grounds safely, marvel at beautiful cocoa pods and just chill out. This a great place unplug for social media to do reading, creating, uninterrupted thinking and contemplating the state of things. Life can be quite overwhelming, especially for the HSP. Taking time to yourself in a calming, safe and peaceful environment can help put things into perspective.

6 am at the Beach


I know the idea of strolling along a secluded beach sounds heavenly. However, you can have the same feeling on one of the more popular beaches in the early morning hours. I feel like most people who go to the beach in the early morning are cultivating a healthy self care practice.  While I was preggers with N I would go to the beach in the early morning hours and just sit in solitude, sometimes I would journal and sometimes I would just enjoy the negative ions charging up my feel good vibes. You will see a few people having their morning soak or walk and for the most part you know they are there just to do something good for their soul and it feels great to be in the company of others from a distance.

Do you identify as a highly sensitive person? (take the quiz if you are unsure)
How have you taken care of yourself and what are some of your favorite places in Grenada to explore?

What are some of the attributes of Highly Sensitive People
sensitiveperson.com describes HSPs (and I paraphrase) as follows: 

Emotionally- mainly seen as shy, introverted and socially inhibited (or can be socially extroverted). They are often acutely aware of other's emotions.

Physically- Low tolerance to noise, glaring lights, strong orders, clutter and/or chaos. They tend to have more body awareness of themselves and know instinctually when the environment they are in is not working for them.

Socially-Introverted HSP may feel like misfits. They actually enjoy their own company and are totally comfortable being alone. Bother introverted and socially extroverted HSP often find they need alone time to recover after social interactions.

Psychologically- HSPs compensate for their sensitivity by either protecting themselves by being alone too much, or, by trying to be "normal" or sociable which then over-stimulates them into stress.

Relationships- can be difficult. In relationships they may be confronted with their unresolved personal issues.  They can however, offer their partner the gifts of their intuitive insights.
 Childhood Wounds have a more devastating effect on HSPs. It is important for them to heal their past hurts because they cannot just forget them and go on in denial.

Spiritually- sensitive people have a greater capacity for inner searching. This is one of their greatest blessings

Nutritionally- HSPs may need more more simplicity in their diet. They may be vitally aware of the effects of food on the health of their body and their emotional stability.

Comments

  1. Wonderful post! Definitely a HSP and feel all forms of hurt and aggravation daily. Thanks for the tips! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to be of service! Let me know how you feel when you try these out.

      Delete
  2. I love this! I think that I am also an HSP and I think it would be helpful to write a guide for HSPs living in London (I'm sure it would be quite different from yours for Grenadians)! I found this wonderful TED talk about HSPs and a lot of things resonated.

    https://youtu.be/pi4JOlMSWjo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Hazel, Glad you enjoyed the post. Next time you visit us you should try some out. I would love to read the HSP London Guide. It will differ drastically in a city that can be so stimulating. I looked at this TED talk when I first started looking into HSP.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed this!
    I love that you've labelled my "high sensitivity" and made me feel so normal lol.
    These are some excellent recommendations; I can't wait to try those I haven't already.
    Thanks for a great read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad this post helped. Tag me on IG in your HSP adventures. I would love to see you try these out and read how you feel.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts