Grenada Soul Adventurer Kitchen :Christmas Edition: Lazy Lady Fruit Shortbread Thumbprints


I had made the decision sometime in November that 2014 was the year I would attempt to make a Black Christmas Cake (or what some may call Fruit cake). About a week before Christmas I finally bought my fruits and soaked those suckers in the cake wine and rum. By Christmas Eve I was still missing ingredients and I had convinced myself that making this cake would be too great of an ordeal to endure. Therefore I decided to use my soaked fruits to make these Shortbread Thumbprints instead. The original recipe called for a jam filling but I decided to give it a slightly alcoholic and more Grenadian/Caribbean twist. 





Recipe 

Prep time: 30 minutes 
Bake time: 14-18 minutes 
1 cup butter 
2/3 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract 
2 cups all purpose flour 
Mixed fruits 

Soak de fruits dem...in de wine and a likkle rum (ensuring that the wine and rum cover the fruits) and leave it for ah timin (3 days or more...the longer stronger...yuh feel me)  

Cream  together butter and sugar until smooth
Mix in 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract 
Mix in flour until dough comes together
Roll dough into 1/2 inch balls and place on ungreased cookies sheet 
Make a small crater in the centre of each ball using your thumb
Fill the hole with the soaked fruits 

Bake for 14 to 18 minutes in preheated oven until lightly browned. Let cool 

The recipe that inspired this lazy lady alternative to Black Christmas Cake was found on www.allrecipes.com Recipe by Dee


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts