Those who plant

"An anonymous text from the tradition says that, in life, each person can take one of two attitudes: to build or to plant. The builders might take years over their tasks, but one day, they finish what they're doing. Then they find they're hemmed by their own walls. Life looses its meaning when the building stops.  
Then there are those who plant. They endure storms and all the many vicissitudes of the seasons, and they rarely rest. But, unlike a building, a garden never stops growing. And while it requires a gardeners constant attention, it also allows life for the gardener to be a great adventure."

Paulo Coelho, Brida Prologue

When I was at school in Trinidad I bought a few potted plants, usually flowers and cacti. I would tend to my flowers for a few weeks. Lovingly watering then each day, talking to them, giving them names and such. When studies got hectic and I would forget about my flowers and soon they would be all brown and dried, beyond resuscitation. My cacti, which lived on my kitchen window sill needed less attention and thus they survived..barely...I have killed a cactus before!

Often times in life, things come to us: a friend, family, a lover, talents, opportunities...the mere fact that they are there does not mean they will remain and thrive. It takes effort, constant care, love, practice and time to keep these things and also to see them flourish. I am making the intention on this beautiful Sunday to be a gardener...and what better way to be a gardener in the abstract than to try my hand again at tending flowers. 









The succulents that I water once every 2 weeks when I remember have been doing well and have multiplied. I am taking one of the smaller ones to work as a reminder to be a planter, a constant nurturer in all my efforts. 




These little things are supposed to be really good for my new flower babies.






Comments

  1. Tell me about the origin of those succulents! I so want some ♥ sorry if you already said it in the post, the font is showing up in cursive for me and i cant read it XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got them at Kool Nursery about a year ago, that is in Morne Jaloux...I was there today and did not see any though. If we can get our act together I can bring you the baby one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts